Creating an effective skin care regime is actually quite straightforward, and a lot of the hard work is done in the prep. Find out what type of skin you have, match that to the products you buy and develop an easy-to-follow plan. Do that and you’re well on your way to building the perfect skincare routine. I’m going to show you how.
Determine your skin type
Before you start to build a skin care regime you need to know what type of skin you have. If you don’t figure it out and just create an off the cuff routine, the chances are it won’t work and could even make things worse. Here’s what you should be looking for when figuring out your skin type:
- Oily: oily skin often presents as shiny and greasier to the touch.
- Dry: if your skin feels tight and you can see it flaking it mean it’s dry.
- Combination: this refers to having a combo of dry and oily skin, often dry in the cheek area and greasy in your T-zone.
- Normal: refers to healthy skin that feels neither oily or dry.
Choose the right products
Once you’ve figured that out it’s important to buy products that are specifically suited to your skin type. Here are a few of essentials you should be using:
- Cleanser: the building block of any effective skin care routine is a quality cleanser. Massage in to remove makeup, oil and dirt, ready for the next stage.
- Toner: toners help to get rid of any debris cleansing might have missed. They’re also great at balancing out the skin’s pH levels and to prepare it for moisturising
- Moisturiser: absolutely vital in keeping your skin hydrated and smooth. Using a daily moisturiser with SPF protection and a rich overnight cream is a good way to go.
- Exfoliator: go with a gentle exfoliator to remove dead skin and unclog blocked pores.
- Lip care: lips are prone to cracking, so having protective products is key. Petroleum jelly works well as it provides a moisture barrier to help keep your lips nice and hydrated. And if you’re wondering about petroleum jelly dangers, there’s no need to worry as this product is triple-purified to remove impurities and even recommended by dermatologists for dry and sensitive skin.
Work through your daily regime
You’ve established your skin type and started putting together your kit, now on to the routine itself. Follow these simple steps and your skin will really benefit:
- Morning: start off your day by gently exfoliating if need be and then cleansing. Follow that up with your toner and then apply moisturiser. If you’ve opted for one with SPF protection that’s great; if not, don’t forget to add sunscreen when needed.
- During the day: pay close attention to your skin’s hydration and don’t be afraid to add moisturiser when need be. Look out for your lips too as they can suffer when exposed to the elements. We’ve already talked about not needing to worry about petroleum jelly dangers, so feel free to use petroleum jelly as your daily moisturiser.
- At night: simply end the day in the same way you started, minus the exfoliator. It’s also a good idea to pay close attention to your eyes, maybe even using a specialist cream overnight.
That gives you a good idea about how to create your perfect routine. Try out these tips and you’ll soon be on your way to healthier looking skin.